Who are we?

In 1854 Reverend Abraham Havens left land and $500 to build a church.  
James Dorsett erected the sanctuary in Greek revival architecture.  The church was dedicated in 1857.

In 1858 the Burrsville Baptist Church was organized. In 1889 the church changed its name and became known as the Orient Baptist Church (because it was the eastern most American Baptist Church at the time). In 1973 the church became known as the First Baptist Church of Laurelton.

The church social hall, Ivy Hall, was home to early government. The old Laurelton school held their graduations in Ivy Hall. Ivy Hall and the Church each have fancy tin ceilings. The sanctuary is graced with beautiful furnishings and stain glass windows.

The church is listed as both a State and National Historic Landmark.  The church is a member of the American Baptist Churches, NJ & USA.

The First Baptist Church of Laurelton also has its own Baptist cemetery which is open to all Baptists. The cemetery dates back to the 1850s.